On Saturday, June 3rd, I gave a lecture at the Sekhet-Maat OTO Lodge titled “The Magical Memory: The Art of Memory as an Occult Practice”. Below, please find a link to the slides and a list of references used while preparing the lecture.
Update from March 2020
I combined this lecture with later versions and presented it online during the COVID-19 shutdown. Read about it here or go straight to the page to download/view it.
The following is a possibly-incomplete list of references for my lecture notes.
- Ars Memorativa: the Art of Memory by John Michael Greer
- De Umbris Idearum: On the Shadows of Ideas by Giordano Bruno
- Meditations on the Soul: Selected Letters of Marsilio Ficino edited by Clement Salaman
- Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius translated by Brian P. Copenhaver
- Plato’s dialogs “Meno”, “Phaedrus”, and “Phaedo”
- Plotinus’s “Enneads”, translated by Thomas Taylor
- Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition by Frances Yates
- The Art of Memory by Frances Yates
- Eros and Magic in the Renaissance by Ioan P. Culianu
In addition, I would recommend reading my other articles on this site, Giordano Bruno’s Art of Memory and The Tarot Memory Deck.
[…] case it hasn’t been made abundantly clear by my numerous podcast appearances, public lectures, and short list of published articles, I’m a Freemason. This generates a lot of curiosity in […]
[…] fun to give one of my more popular presentations online. I combined a few previous versions of my Art of Memory lecture and renamed it “Pansophia and the Art of Memory.” I scheduled the event and […]