In this episode, I talk with Dr. Justin Sledge, a professor of philosophy focusing on the intersection of philosophy and esotericism. He studied at the University of Amsterdam’s Center for the Study of Hermetic Philosophy and Related Currents and on top of that, he has a Ph.D. in philosophy. Our discussion focuses on the Zohar and how to study it. The Zohar is a massive text – the Pritzker edition is twelve volumes – and it is a complicated and difficult thing to study.
Dr. Sledge takes us on a journey through the history of Kabbalah and the Zohar’s place in it. Our conversation includes discussion of Abraham Abulafia, Sabbatai Zevi, the Mandaeans, Moses Cordovero, Daniel Matt, and even some John Dee and Johannes Trithemius. It’s a long episode and it is full of stuff!
- Dr. Justin Sledge’s website
- ESOTERICA channel on YouTube
- NEW! Dr. Sledge created a Zohar Study Tips video after we recorded this episode!
- Get the Pritzker edition of the Zohar!
- Or start with the Midrash ha-Ne’lam in volume X!